Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

What Would You Do?

Do you ever wonder what you would do with your life if you weren't doing what you're doing? Wow, that came out more confusing that I wanted it to be. What I wanted to say is... what other things are you good at in your life that you could do if what you are doing now didn't work out. Ok, so that was just as confusing as the first time around, but I think you catch my drift. Though I'm happy in my life working as a Real Estate Research Analyst as well as a Real Estate Broker, I often wonder what other things I could do with my life if my current career(s) didn't work out. What could I do with myself if real estate, one day, ceased to exist. I never liked that thing they made you do in highschool where you were forced to answer the question 'if you had all the money in the world what would you do in life?' because I always answered the same thing: nothing. I know the point is that whatever you answer is what you should do with your life because, regardless of all other factors, it's your true passion... but come on! I bet 50% of the kids put that they would be famous and the other 50% put that they would make money traveling for a living. But, you're 16 year-old self doesn't have much experience, so your dreams and aspirations are still very much alive. We all know, however, that life doesn't always turn out the way we want it to. Despite the fact that I think you have to love what you do, the truth is that not everyone will. This is unfortunate, but it's reality. This blog post is taking a deeper and more thoughtful turn than I wanted it to, so I need to lighten the air before it hits the 'existentialist point of no return'.  MOVING ON! I often sit and ponder what other things I could do in life and I have come up with a few ideas.

My first choice would be a wedding planner. As I mentioned here and here, I love love and everything that has to do with it. I love seeing people in love and I love being around people who are in love. I know what everyone says... 'Bridezillas are crazy and you could never handle them'... but I could. And I would do it with a sense of patience and calm that would bring out the best in even the most crazy Bridezilla. When it came to planning T's wedding, I loved the whole process. I loved picking out the flowers, the dress, the shoes, the venue, the location (both locations in her case) ... I would do it all over again in a second if I could. I didn't find any of it boring and, if I do say so myself, I think I helped her plan two beautiful weddings that both went pretty much as smoothly as you could want them.





My second choice would be to be a professional blogger. I know my blog and blogging skills need some work, but I love taking pictures and writing about life. I think that the reason I enjoy it so much is because I do it for fun, and not for work... but I love to do it and I feel like I could really enjoy working in the same line as blogging. I don't know how many people can make a living off of it though, so for now I'll just do it for fun... it's better that way :)

Finally, if my career as wedding planner/blogger doesn't work out... I truly believe that I could apply for a job working for Netflix. Now, I don't think there is a title for what my job would be (and a job like this definitely doesn't exist) but I would like to be the person who reviews/categorizes/recommends the movies on the Canadian version of Netflix. Anyway who has Netflix will totally catch my drift on this one. To start off, I would like to point out that almost every single movie on Netflix has 4 stars. Yes, even 'The Love Guru' featuring Mike Meyers and Justin Timberlake has 4 stars, if you see where I'm going. Now, maybe I'm the crazy one here, but how is that possible? How does whoever does these reviews give every movie 4 stars? And if it's not done by someone, but rather extrapalated data from polls taken on the site... again, how is this possible? Now, on to the categories. I kid you not, Netflix has to have theee weirdest category titles I have ever seen. "Romantic Comedy"? Too normal. "Action Adventure"? Overdone. "Family Movie Night"? Too boring. But "1980's movie featuring a strong red-head female role whose husband later cheated on her and left her in real life"? Nailed it! And "Movies you'll start watching and will hate, but will watch until the end because you're so embarassed when people ask you if you've seen it and you have to say no"? Uhhh totally! Ok, so I may be exaggerating a little bit, but go on Netflix... you'll see where I'm coming from. And finally, the 'recommended for you' category. Honestly, I don't think the people (it's probably a computer, but I prefer to picture a bunch of programmers sitting around their computer stumped by me) have ever been more confused by any user than they are by me. To begin, my bestest friend L and I share a Netflix account (which may or may not be legal... duh duh duh) and she and her male roomate watch theee weirdest movies. I won't name any of them because I wouldn't want to embarass her (crazy heart), but odd. E watches what I would classify as Action/Adventure/Fighting movies and then, you have me. I love everything from the cheesiest romantic comedies, to the most intense documentaries, and everything in between. I also like to watch old school cartoons (Rugratz) just to switch things up. Then, just to really confuse them, I watch the first five minutes of a Bollywood movie every once in a while. BAM! In your face Netflix!

So there you have it. What I would do if I weren't doing what I do. Just thought I'd share my afternoon thoughts. So, what would you do if you weren't doing what you do?

Love,

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Love.It! I actually think the title of this post should be "Things I love to do that I already do (only don't get paid for doing them but totally should cuz I'm so kick*ss at them!)" because we all know you're an amazingly talented party planner, creatively intuitive blogger, yummy Focaccia & Chala bread baker & real estate tycoon! If I was getting married, or hiring a blogger and most definitely if I needed advice on movie selections, clothes, hair, guys (or girls), restos, cooking, traveling, fun things to do or basically just about anything...I would go to you and your sisters. (Who am I kidding? I already do! And alas...I don't pay you...sorrryyyy...haha!) This is probably the last year we (your fans) can get away with benefiting from your and your sisters- and let's not forget momma H's- awesome free advice before you get a multi-million dollar contract and a show starring all u H's so I'm enjoying this while I can... Step aside Kardashians!

    P.S: Shotgun on being a special guest star in every episode! :p

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha of course... You can be our sistah from anotha mista. Don't worry though, we'll drag you around as if you were blood related :)

      Delete