Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

You Smell Like Onions



Anyone who used to watch ‘The Simple Life’ with Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie will know why I called my post that. Yes, I admit it, when I was a 16 year old girl I was guilty of tuning in once a week to that useless reality show (is that an oxymoron?) and  in the words of PH I used to ‘Loves It’. I cringe just thinking about how I bought a pink trucker hat so that I could be like Nicole Richie; she was my favorite of the two. At the time she wasn’t the stylish mother of two that she is now, but rather a crass and VERY FUNNY 25 year old. She had an amazing sense of humor, I’ll give her that.

 ANYWAY, all of that is beside the point. The reason for this post is because last night I made my very own homemade baked onion rings and they were, if I may so myself, AWESOME! Most people who know me know that I don’t eat fried foods which, before K showed me this recipe, made onion rings a no no for me.  But with this easy (very easy) recipe, I was able to enjoy a healthier alternative to the fried kind. Try them at home… I promise you will love them! Bon Appétit!

 Ingredients:

Cooking spray or oil

One large Spanish onion for two people (we didn’t have to we used a couple smaller ones)

2 eggs

Bread crumbs

Salt & Pepper



Put your oven on bake at 450 degrees. Prepare a cookie sheet with some cooking spray or cooking oil. I prefer putting down aluminum foil as it makes for easy cleanup. Cut the onions in medium slices and then take apart the ‘rings’ as well as any parts that appear to be too green. Crack the eggs in one bowl and whisk them up, add salt and pepper. On another small plate, pour some breadcrumbs (not too much because they get clumpy during the dipping).  Take your onion and first dip it into the egg and then into the breadcrumbs until the onion is coated. If you would like them to be extra crispy, re-dip them in the egg and back into the breadcrumbs. If you don’t want your fingers to get all full of the mixture, you can easily do this with a fork. Place them one by one on the cookie sheet. If some of the breadcrumbs 'batter' falls off of the onion, no need to pick it off, it crisps up and makes delicious little crispy bits. Bake for 7 minutes on one side, flip and do 5 minutes on the other. Let them cool as the onion can be quite hot. Enjoy!!!



With Love,

S

No comments:

Post a Comment