Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2011

All That Glitters

Good morning everyone! I hope your Thursday morning is going well and that the weather where you are isn’t as chilly as it is here in the MTL. They are calling for colder weather, unfortunately, but I guess we just have to be thankful that we aren’t yet knee deep in snow. I wasn’t feeling great for the past few days, which is why I haven’t blogged, but am feeling much better today and am in a much better mood.

While having coffee at a Starbucks with a friend yesterday morning, we couldn’t help but notice that it looked like a Christmas explosion had gone off in there. The cups are already covered in winter scenes, the cookies have gone from flowers to snowflakes and there is even some of the fake snow on the windows. Which, by the way, is a little odd since it hasn’t even snowed yet so who do they think they are fooling? But I digress. As K and I have mentioned, like it or not the Christmas season is in full swing… and I LIKE IT! You know who may not like it however? The 6 staff members at the Starbucks who are stuck listening to Jingle Bell Rock and Frosty the Snowman on repeat for their entire shift, that’s who! And it was only November 16th! If I worked there, I think I would go a little nuts. I guess they learn to tune it out. Or at least, for their sake, I hope they do!
*The building where the Starbucks is... they are in the Holiday Spirit as well :)

One of my favorite things about the Holidays is most definitely all of the parties.  I know that by the end of the holiday season my feet will be sore from countless hours of wearing high heels, I won’t have any stockings left that don’t have runs in them, I will be tired of blow-drying my hair and putting on makeup, and I won’t have any more party dresses to wear. But for now, I’m pumped! I love walking by the window displays on my way to work and seeing all the party scenes featuring sparkly dresses and glasses of champagne. I love picturing myself in all of the fancy dresses, toasting with my friends. I love that even though the mannequins don’t have faces, you can just tell that they are having an awesome time. I love it all! There is one particular window nearby that features a Christmas Eve scene that melts my heart and almost makes me tear up. I know I sound a little crazy… but the holidays really make me happy. Opening my email  in the morning and having a new Holiday party invitation makes me so excited. But after going through my party invites, and comparing them to the holiday dresses hanging in my closet, I have decided that I may need to buy 1 (or 2) new holiday dresses this season but am having trouble deciding which look to go for. I thought about it for a while and have decided on three different looks. Of course, I will gear my outfits to the type of party I will be attending as well as who will be attending it… but for now, these are my choices:
 I will go with one LBD with a twist. Maybe some sparkle or a cutout, just to add a little something. I have a few black dresses that I can keep as backups or emergencies (T ripped a dress at a Holiday party a couple years ago.. thank goodness we were on our way out!) but they are kind of plain and not really what I am looking for.


 Then I will go with a bold color; most probably a red or deep maroon. I have light blond hair and fair skin, so red is probably better than the deep maroon. I just loved the detail on the back of the first dress.



 Then, for the most special party… I will go ALL OUT! I absolutely love sparkly things, especially sparkly dresses. I love how I feel when I put them on;  like I'm glowing. Few occasions are special enough to warrant a sparkly dress, but the holidays are a time when you can totally pull this look off (ok and on your birthday). I just love all that glitters and  the holidays wouldn’t be the holidays without some bling!



 I love this one. I think the amount of sparkle is perfect and, paired with black tights, it is an appropriate length for an office Holiday party.



 What can I say? I'm a sucker for dark blue... and shine. It may be a little short (even with tights) but it is still a great dress for the Holidays.



This is BY FAR my favorite dress. I love how it has both gold and silver and is textured to look like fish scales. I love the neckline as well as the hem and I think it is the perfect amount of sparkle without being too loud. The length is appropriate and it is some and girly without being overdone. Perfection!

*All dresses are from asos.com

Needless to say, I won’t be wearing any of those dresses if I don’t get back to the gym. I really have been slacking recently. I was so disciplined before the wedding, and went to the gym almost every day. But now, with work and the cold weather coming, I haven’t felt much like working out. I am in ‘bundle’ mode and for me that usually includes adding a few pounds to keep warm. This year though, I would like to try and avoid the extra pounds and stay on track at the gym. This is why I forced myself to go last night. Well that, and the fact that this was the scene on my desk yesterday afternoon:



ANYWAY! My friend D and I not only made it to the gym, but we killed it. We did our workouts to the end and I am very proud of both of us. We were rewarded with a very delicious, but healthy, dinner afterwards and I may have had a glass (or 2) of wine as well.



 Along with all of the other promises I have made for this winter, I promise to eat, drink and hit the gym.  I better get going, but I wish everyone a very happy Thursday!

With love,

S

2 comments:

  1. I love glitter! I want that blue dress...I have no exciting parties coming up but would be ok wearing it to class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha you totall should... just rock it out at school. It would look amazing on you though!

    ReplyDelete