Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Soup*Salad*Spanakopita

[gallery order="DESC"]
Yes, it is kind of an unlikely combo but there was a no-holds-bar in my kitchen this weekend… this is only a portion of what was created over my 3-day weekend    (Hooray for working in a high school!)  


As S so clearly stated, my sisters and I are very different, I, (K) have been described as the cook/baker of the family probably because unlike my little sisters S & T who get stressed and run to the gym, I head to my Kitchen Aid mix master. (Over the years my various roommates have learned that if they return home to a kitchen filled with baked goods, it probably wasn’t the best of days in the land of K!!!)


What’s the source stress??? MY SISTER IS GOING TO BE SOMEONE’S WIFE IN 8 DAYS!!! OK, so that might not be the direct cause of stress because I do ADORE B (her fiancĂ©) but rather the fact that I don’t have a single thing packed- correction: I don’t even have a suitcase to pack anything in even if I wanted to! Yikes!


So off to the kitchen I go…


Leek & Potato Soup                                                                                                                             


- 2 tbsp of butter


- 2 cups of leeks (all of the white parts, a little of the green)


- 2 cloves of garlic, minced


- 1 cup of celery, chopped


- 4 cups of chicken or veggie broth (low sodium is best for you!)


- 1 cup carrots, chopped


- 3 cups potatoes, cubed (I leave the peel on for added fibre but you don’t have to)


- 1 cup buttermilk (or regular milk w/ a tsp of lemon or vinegar)


- 1 tsp dill


-Melt butter and cook leeks until softened


-Add garlic and celery & cook for 1 more minute


-Add carrots, stock, potatoes (salt & pepper to taste)


-Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat & simmer for 20 mins.


-Allow it to cool slightly and then transfer to blender


-Return to pot, add buttermilk and dill.


Salad


-Spring mix (really, any salad will do)


-Dried cranberries


-Crumbled walnuts


-Crumbled parmesan


Dressing


- 1 tsp honey


- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar


- 6 tbsp olive oil


-Mix it all together & enjoy!


Spanakopita


- 4 sheets of phyllo


- 14 oz spinach


- 2/3 cups feta


- 1/4 cup of mint, chopped


- Salt & pepper


-Butter flavoured spray


-Spray a large pan


-Cook spinach until just wilted


-Allow it to cool


-Add feta, mint, salt & pepper


-Spray 9x5 pan


-Fold 1 sheet of phyllo in half & press down into the bottom of the pan & on the sides


-Spray w/ butter spray


-Spread 1/3 of spinach mix on top


-Add another layer of folded phyllo sheet, repeat until all layers of done.


-Bake at 375 for 25-35 mins.